Tuesday, December 10, 2013

About migration of LXC containers from Ubuntu to Debian...

Hello everyone who reads me! Thank you for that!
I moved my virtual machines from my tablet pc with ubuntu to my brand new server with debian. I probably should mention that I use LXC for virtualization.
It isn't a real server of course. It is just an old pc which is sitting and whirring in the hallway of my flat near the router.
When I was moving my containers, I easily found out that you should tar and untar a container with --numeric-owner flag, because you just simply can’t move a system. But I’ve stuck into DHCP configuration.
Debian wiki have a suggests about bridge configuration for LXC.
But it is all about static ip configuration. And this guide doesn’t work with isc-dhcp-server on Debian testing (now it is Jessie on the 10th December 2013).


The issue is related to the name of the bridge. DHCP server doesn't understand interface name that contains a "-" (minus symbol). It can listen this interface and receive packages through it. But it can't find such interface when it wants to push response back.
Also there was another thing that stole a bit of my time. I've installed Debian with XFCE (it seemed to me, that GUI could make configuration easier). But it wasn't the case. I got XFCE with Network Manager. It is a nice to use utility for desktop. But, because I hadn't have any experience with its configuration files, I got a couple of issues.
I don’t want to talk a lot about it, but be careful if you are going to follow my way. It seems, that different version of this utility have a little bit different configuration format. And it tends to catch up configuration changes without service restarting.
This is the end of my report.
Have a nice day!

No comments:

Post a Comment